Experience with Jakafi
since FDA approval10*
MORE THAN 30,000 PATIENTS TREATED
*Estimated total patients treated with commercially available Jakafi in the US since 2011.10
Identifying Patients Whose PV Has Become Advanced
Hematologist-oncologist Dr Gary Grad discusses how to proactively identify the subset of patients in whom polycythemia vera (PV) has become advanced despite treatment with the maximum tolerated dose of hydroxyurea (HU) and phlebotomy. He details the clinical characteristics of advanced PV, including elevated hematocrit and either elevated white blood cell (WBC) count or disease-related symptoms.
- Barosi G, Birgegard G, Finazzi G, et al. A unified definition of clinical resistance and intolerance to hydroxycarbamide in polycythaemia vera and primary myelofibrosis: results of a European LeukemiaNet (ELN) consensus process. Br J Haematol. 2010;148(6):961-963.
- Marchioli R, Finazzi G, Specchia G, et al. Cardiovascular events and intensity of treatment in polycythemia vera. N Engl J Med. 2013;368(1):22-33.
- Barbui T, Masciulli A, Marfisi M. White blood cell counts and thrombosis in polycythemia vera: a subanalysis of the CYTO-PV study. Blood. 2015;126(4):560-561.
- Emanuel R, Dueck A, Geyer H, et al. Myeloproliferative neoplasm (MPN) symptom assessment form total symptom score: prospective international assessment of an abbreviated symptom burden scoring system among patients with MPNs. J Clin Oncol. 2012;30(33):4098-4103.
- Verstovsek S, Passamonti F, Rambaldi A, et al. A phase 2 study of ruxolitinib, an oral JAK1 and JAK2 Inhibitor, in patients with advanced polycythemia vera who are refractory or intolerant to hydroxyurea. Cancer. 2014;120(4):513-520.
- Referenced with permission from the NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology (NCCN Guidelines®) for Myeloproliferative Neoplasms V.2.2019. © National Comprehensive Cancer Network, Inc. 2018. All rights reserved. Accessed October 29, 2018. To view the most recent and complete version of the guideline, go online to NCCN.org. NCCN makes no warranties of any kind whatsoever regarding their content, use or application and disclaims any responsibility for their application or use in any way.
- Barbui T, Barosi G, Birgegard G, et al. Philadelphia-negative classical myeloproliferative neoplasms: critical concepts and management recommendations from European LeukemiaNet. J Clin Oncol. 2011;29(6):761-770.
- Jakafi Prescribing Information. Wilmington, DE: Incyte Corporation.
- Vannucchi AM, Kiladjian JJ, Griesshammer M, et al. Ruxolitinib versus standard therapy for the treatment of polycythemia vera. N Engl J Med. 2015;372(5)(suppl):1-25.
- Data on file. Incyte Corporation. Wilmington, DE.