In a subset of patients already treated with HU and phlebotomy, PV may become advanced.2-7
To learn how to proactively identify the clinical characteristics of advanced PV, click here.
Ruxolitinib (Jakafi) is a preferred treatment option for patients with high-risk PV who have had an inadequate response or loss of response to cytoreductve therapy8
NCCN=National Comprehensive Cancer Network.
Jakafi is indicated for treatment of PV in adults who have had an inadequate response to or are intolerant of HU.
- Jakafi Prescribing Information. Wilmington, DE: Incyte Corporation.
- Barosi G, Birgegard G, Finazzi G, et al. A unified definition of clinical resistance and intolerance to hydroxycarbamide in polycythaemia vera and primary myelofibrosis: results of a European LeukemiaNet (ELN) consensus process. Br J Haematol. 2010;148(6):961-963.
- Parasuraman S, DiBonaventura M, Reith K, et al. Patterns of hydroxyurea use and clinical outcomes among patients with polycythemia vera in real-world clinical practice: a chart review. Exp Hematol Oncol. 2016;5:3. Available at doi: 10.1186/s40164-016-0031-8.
- Mascarenhas J. A concise update on risk factors, therapy, and outcome of leukemic transformation of myeloproliferative neoplasms. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk. 2016;16(suppl):S124-129.
- Rumi E, Cazzola M. Diagnosis, risk stratification, and response evaluation in classical myeloproliferative neoplasms. Blood. 2017;129(6):680-692.
- Michiels JJ, Berneman Z, Schroyens W, et al. PVSG and WHO vs European Clinical, Molecular and Pathological Criteria for prefibrotic myeloproliferative neoplasms. World J Hematol. 2013;2(3):71-88.
- Michiels JJ. Myeloproliferative and thrombotic burden and treatment outcome of thrombocythemia and polycythemia patients. World J Crit Care Med. 2015;4(3):230-239.
- Referenced with permission from the NCCN Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology (NCCN Guidelines®) for Myeloproliferative Neoplasms V.3.2022. © National Comprehensive Cancer Network, Inc. 2023. All rights reserved. Accessed January 24, 2023. To view the most recent and complete version of the guideline, go online to NCCN.org. NCCN makes no warranties of any kind whatsoever regarding their content, use or application and disclaims any responsibility for their application or use in any way.
from the phase 3
*RESPONSE, Randomized study of Efficacy and Safety in POlycythemia vera with JAK iNhibitor ruxolitinib verSus bEst available care